Friday, February 8, 2019

When a Man Loves Revit

Few years ago, the world famous singer, Michael Boltton visited Korea to have his concert. 'When a Man Loves Woman' is one of his great hits.


I love Revit. But, sometimes I almost forget it while I struggle with technical issues in busy projects.  So, I do some useless works when ever I realize it.

What do you imagine when you think about LOVE? There can be a lot of candidates, But nobody can deny that flowers should be one of the strong ones. Especially ROSES.


So, I decided to give a rose to Revit to prove my love for her. (Please don't tell my wife)








Do you love Revit? If so, try it.


At first, I found it that roses have almost irregular membrane structure. What makes roses look like roses?

1. Rose Petal


Above is petals when they're not bloomed. They are all cupped yet.


After bloomed, it goes out-bent  from outside edge like above picture.

1. Petal Profile

So, I created a track for section profiles to simulate above like this.
BloomRatio=0
BloomRatio=0.5
BloomRatio=1.0
Profiles for a petal can be transformed by a parameter, BloomRatio.

2. Petal Path

And Created another track for a path with the same concept.
BloomRatio=0

BloomRatio=0.5

BloomRation-1
3. Petal Form

The sizes of the profile track instances had to be adjusted to create rose petal shape  when they were attached at Petal Path.



Five profile track instances were used to create the shape above. And BloomRatio parameter of each profile and Petal-Path was associated with one ratio parameter of this AC family, so it can make blooming movement.

4. Structure of Rose

Before placing petals, I found it that rose petals are placed in spiral rule.


If above is a site-plan view, then a mid-plan view can be as below.


Petals are placed on a spiral and it goes the outer the larger.

But I'm not making a 'real' flower but imitation, so I simply placed petals using repeater as below to make the work easy.



Then....
Tada~





I don't expect Revit to marry me, but she won't dump me out at least.

You can Download this crazy Family here


Enjoy. :)



15 comments:

  1. Can you make a video that how to make this amazing Rose in revit... Plzzz plzz teach me after seeing this i become ur fan .. Plzz teach as with video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. takes so much time to do this again. Thanks for the good words

      Delete
  2. could you please give me that family via email ? I wanna use it as a gift for my co-worker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can download the family now.
      hope it's not too late. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a passionate gift for Revit of yours ^^ Thank you so much for inspiring Revit users like me :D!
    Your blog is so special because of the way you enjoyed Revit so muchhh and how you approach it !
    Respect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anyway to scale this down? I need it for a professional project, but right now the flower is 7 feet tall. I need it to be more like 3-4 inches tall. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never expected it to be used for a real project. U can scale down one by one each nested families.

      Delete
    2. I tried that but it still doesn't allow scaling because of the formula and the curves. I was just wondering if you knew a way to make it smaller. Thanks anyway!

      Delete
    3. You have to start from the bottom level in the nesting steps.
      And, btw, the shared file is not for professional projects at the first place. It's gonna be a very expensive family if it's for professional use.

      Delete
    4. Bonjour,

      Effectivement j'ai le même problème. Je souhaitais créer un rosier sauf qu'en ouvrent le fichier , surprise la rose fait 7m de haut hark. N'est-il pas possible d'avoir une version avec la taille plus petite car du coup j'ai payé pour avoir une rose que je ne peux utiliser :(

      Delete