Saturday, June 27, 2020

DynaPAT - Ultimate Pattern Maker for Revit by Dynamo

As you know, there are plenty of good solutions to make custom patterns for Autocad.
But, if you are really into Revit, there are not many choices. In my case, I've used a solution for Autocad, and used *.pat files from it. I can't say it's very inconvenient, but can't say it great either.


I know there are some apps which creates patterns for Revit.
They can create pattern directly in Revit. And some of them have a bit complicated options.

But I haven't seen below functions from any of them.

1. Non square pattern.
2. Patterns with curves.
3. Honeycomb(hexagonal) pattern.
4. Custom pattern size. (I know pattern can be scaled when be used, but..)

So.... I developed a pattern maker named DynaPAT using Dynamo.

a Sample created by DynaPAT




DynaPAT can do below.

  1. Non square pattern (any rectangles available)
  2. Patterns with curves
  3. Honeycomb pattern (because of no.1)
  4. Custom pattern size (What you draw is what you get)
  5. No installation.. It's Dynamo!!
  6. No "for 2017" or "for 2021" thing... It's Dynamo!!! I'm sure it will be able to be used with Revit2022 and later version as well.
  7. No template or line type specification. Just draw your own pattern with any lines on any view.  (you can use any two different line styles for boundary and pattern)
  8. It creates *.pat file, so you can use created files for other apps like Autocad.
  9. You can select the pattern style as Drafting or Model.
  10. Automatically detect using project units and apply it to PAT file.
  11. It creates one pat file at a time, so you can use it repeatably not only in Dynamo player but also in Dynamo app.
  12. And most Importantly, it's easy to use!!!




This is one of the largest codes I've ever created.


There is one more thing.
After developing DynaPAT, I developed one more code.
It's only for honeycomb patterns, so I named it HoneyPAT(Feat. Dynamo).
Of course DynaPAT can make honeycomb patterns also, but using HoneyPAT is even more straightforward to use if you want only hexagonal patterns.



You can use DynaPAT and HoneyPAT right now!!!




12 comments:

  1. Hi ! Thank you for sharing this two graphs... I always use PyRevit Hatch tools for making pattern in Revit. Do you have any idea in which way your graph is better than this function of PyRevit ?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to know about PyRevit just after I created DynaPAT.
      I think both are almost equally useful in making patterns.
      Pros of PyRevit : many other features beside creating patterns.
      Pros of DynaPAT : No installation. A bit easier to use, I think :)

      Delete
    2. oh, today, I found that PyRevit pattern feature can't make patterns with smooth curves while DynaPAT can.

      Delete
  2. HI HyunWoo, do you have a contact email please. I am having an issue with the hatches created whereby upon import into Revit its saying no drafting or model hatches found in the file. The file content looks fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, noticed dyn script works like a charm under revit 2020 but in Revit 2021 fails to generate a correct .pat file. (generates the pat but some nodes gives error). On close inspection the .pat file has extremely large numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which unit system are you using? I'll see what I can do if you let me know.
      No problem in metric system.

      Delete
    2. and let me know your DynaPat version.. v2.6 is the latest one.

      Delete
    3. Hi, using Metric unit system in Revit 2021 and dynapat 2.6

      Delete
    4. It work fine for me at the same system. weird.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I've just installed Revit 2023 and DynaPAT Pro v2. Like one of the above comments, when running DynaPat, it says 'Run complete with warnings'. It however creates a nameless pattern file (called just .pat) of 0kb. This file then cannot be used as a pattern in Revit. Can you troubleshoot this somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your message just now.. Contact me if it's not too late.

      Delete